Do you see yellow when look out into your yard? Are those “pretty little flowers” everywhere? The weather is starting to get warmer. Everything is in bloom. Including your lawn’s weeds…
Lawn weeds start to pop up in early Spring. There are a few things that you can do to fight off this yellow infestation.
- Have Brookside Lawn Service’s pre-emergent applied – in early Spring
- Is your lawn mowed too short? – Dandelions are common in home lawns, especially in short grass.
- Exhaust their stored energy. – Cut as much of the dandelion roots as possible beginning in early Spring.
- Maintain a thick, healthy, long lawn is the best method of managing many turf weeds. – When the grass thins out, more sunlight is able to reach the soil, & those dormant weed seeds begin to germinate.
- Mow the turf-grass area as soon as the 1st dandelion flower-heads appear.
- Mow your lawn frequently – No more than 1/3 of a grass blade should be removed at any one mowing
- Keep your lawn mower on the tallest setting.
- Insect & disease management assist with dandelion infestations.
- Ensure your lawn gets about 1″ of water each week during the growing season
- Leave your grass clippings – Do not bag your grass when you mow your lawn. When grass clippings decay they put back moisture and add important organic matter back to the soil.
Broad-leafed weeds like dandelions have a deep root system that makes it extremely difficult to control by just trying to pull them out of the ground. Our specially formulated broad-leaf weed control will kill that weed all the way.